Friday, September 15, 2006

Fri Sept 15, 2006 - Day at Sea




Mary is still not feeling well. The ship has been rocking all night long. I guess rubbing St Peter's foot doesn't help seasickness. I find it interesting that people rock babies to sleep, but when they get older they can't stand rocking. It's around 830 that I head alone to the Windjammer. It's too late for formal breakfast. The greeter insists that I clean my hands before enter the dining area. I stick my hand under something that looks like a bubblegum dispenser filled with alcohol. A sensor detects my hand spills the hand sanitizer. The alcohol smelling stuff takes awhile to dry so I just wipe it off on my pants. I glance outside and see a tower off the coast. I should have brought my camera. I decide on eggs overeasy, black sausage and pork links. My cholesterol must be high. As I head back to the room for my camera, I notice an unused barf bag in the stairwell which is a sign of rough seas. On deck 12, it's very cold and windy. All lounge chairs are being secured on that deck since there is no windbreaker. I shoot a few and head back. Mary is up so I start packing my clothes and the souvenirs. Around 1100, Carolyn calls and asks where we want to go for lunch. I suggest Brasserie 30 at Carmen.






Photos

The Carmen dining room on Deck 3 is not yet open so we look for our photos on the boards. We find the photos from last night as well as photos from the first formal night. A recycle bin is filled with spent batteries. One kiosk allows passengers to upload digital photos for printing. 3 computer kiosks allow people to customize photos (cropping, positioning, templates) and order photos. Custom photo sessions. You can order a cruise DVD as well as a 3D glass cube with the image of your choice. Studio B is the ice rink. I guess you'd like the ice rink to be as low and as close to the center of the ship for stability. Behind the family is artwork that you can bid on at an auction. We bump into Carolyn and Bill and head for the dining room for lunch.

We finally luck out and are seated by a window that we share with a young Toronto couple. She speaks Italian, and he has a bit of a French accent. The dark slate blue seas are choppy. I have the lobster salad special along with the chocolate creme bruille. Unfortunately, they don't prepare it by our table.

We overhear that there are 3400 passengers on this cruise, and the ship is sold out. The next cruise will have 3600 passengers. With so many passengers, I figure that our dining room wouldn't be so empty. According to the girl, the Europeans are accustomed to eating late while others wanted more time after their excursion to get ready for dinner so the late seating was full. I told her about the English couple we met at Eze. They had booked the late seating and regretted it. After seeing the show intended for the late seating, they would be going to bed near midnight. and they may have to get up early for their next excursion. I must admit that a Med cruise was more taxing than a Caribbean cruise. First of all, you are battling jetlag. Then there are the long excursions. After all, you don't want to miss anything.

Luggage tags and gratuity envelopes are on our bed when we return to the cabin.





Mary passes on dinner, but asks me to ask Carolyn for some dramadine. Carolyn goes up to our room to check on Mary. Carolyn is battling the movement as well. She says that a cool cloth on her neck works very well. I order the hummus as well as the pumpkin and apple soup which reminded me of Astrid's soup on our Bavaria trip. Neesa delivers the luggage tag for Mary. At dinner, we are serenaded one last time by our waitstaff. Tonight is tip night and I hand out our gratuities to the head waiter, waiter and assistant. Mary gave Neesa her gratuity. Orlando provides a plate of crackers and hard rolls for Mary. When I return to the room, Mary is trying to order room service through the TV, but is having problems. She also can't order any ginger ale nor can she talk to a person on the phone. I pick a couple of cans from the Pig & Whistle.

Packing the three luggage didn't take as long as I thought at least everything fits. Hopefully we're not overweight. Luggage goes out at 1100. I can't believe they have Poseidon on Pay Per View.