
When we traveled to Hawaii, the Philippines and Germany, the screen would provide updates where we were and what our ETA was. It's hard to believe that I did all that travel in a single year, but I did.
So where would I like to travel next? Greece would certainly have my vote. I have always been fascinated with mythology. I would have liked to see Greece on this cruise but no such luck. When we were in Germany this time last year, both Heather and Peggy expressed an interest in Greece so we will probably be traveling with them. Bob my team lead recommended an inland tour. He and Katie booked a hotel in Athens and booked all the tours with the concierge. Athens alone would take at least 2 days to see.
Scotland is on the agenda for 2007. We were to go to Scotland this year, but Heather fell ill and it's always fun to travel with friends. 2009 would be New Zealand with the entire group: Carolyn, Bill, Heather, Peggy, Mary Ann and ourselves. We've never done a trip with that large of a group except for Mary who traveled to Australia in 1989 with the entire group, but I had just started seeing Mary and their trip had been planned long ago. Instead my siblings and I did "The Road Trip" through Central United States. We hit many National Parks and sights in a matter of days. It was probably the best trip I've ever done.
Dad's neighbor mentioned bringing Mom & Dad to China. Now that would be cool! In Katy is the Forbidden Gardens which gives a taste of China. Mr. Matuszko highly recommended China after their trip there. I always have anxiety traveling in a country where I don't know the language, but if I'm traveling with someone who does speak the language -- no problem.
So where else?
A river cruise through Europe would be interesting. Maybe a steamboat cruise during the fall in the US. How about a railway adventure? Peggy wanted to take a cruise through the Panama Canal. I'm not too thrilled about the canal, but if it means traveling, count me in. I'd love to do a trip with the Lunch Bunch. Just the interaction of everybody would be cool. We tried to plan a Texaribbean cruise once, but Jose wanted cheap and Lisa wanted days when the kids were on vacation and there was no way to fulfill both. When I was into anime, I've thought of visiting Japan.
I found on the Internet this company who wanted to make a cruise blimp. That would be interesting especially if it could fly low enough to view the sites. A room with a view would be a big plus
I can use a shower to revive me. We actually arrive an hour early. Customs didn't even read our forms and just stamps anywhere in the passport. As we wait for the Royal Caribbean representative, we meet Cyn and Tonya who are from Annapolis.
Mary tries her cell and can't find service. Once again T-Mobile dropped the ball, and we don't have cell service. We had this same problem last year in Germany. Mary double checked with T-Mobile and they insisted that she was all set to make calls...WRONG! And now once again, we can't make calls from Europe.

Barcelona taxis are painted black with golden yellow doors. We are no longer in the land of the SUV. American cars are nowhere in sight except for a lone corvette proudly parked outside a hotel. American car makers do have cars here but they are nothing like the cars back home. Small cars as well as scooters and motorcycles are prevalent on clean smooth roads unlike Houston's which always seem to be under construction. Barcelona's main streets are interesting. The photo shows the sidewalk on the left to right of that is the one way feeder and to the right of that is the median which acts as a walking path and bike path. Just past that is the main road, another median, another feeder and another sidewalk.There are plazas or roundabouts every so often with a statue or fountain at the center. They drive on the right side of the street. Hearing Spanish reminds me of Texas.

The Gran Havana
We make one stop before arriving at the Gran Havana. Tonya and Cyn also has rooms at the Gran Havana. We were able to check in but we didn't find the hospitality desk.The elevator starts at floor zero and can only take six at a time, and there is no AC. I heard that floor six had no AC. I later learn that many apartment buildings have no elevators. Unlike the States which have both an up and down button, a single button calls the elevator. The hotel is decorated in lots of wood and stone. I was amazed when I open the door. It's like a mini-living room with a couple chairs, a desk with a TV. I flip the light switch but nothing comes on. I remember what Samantha Brown mentioned on the show we just watched. You have to stick your card key into a slot and the lights come on.

See the bidet back there?
In the bedroom I can feel and hear an occasional low rumble which is probably from the subway. It's interesting that I can feel it this high up. The room lacks closet space for the luggage so we leave them in the living room. Two single beds are pushed together to make a king. No problem, There is just the crack to worry about, but the sheets are laid out like singles and you can't snuggle in the middle. At night I pull out the mattress sheets since there are no fitted sheets. The TV turns on and welcomes us to the hotel. This must be the longest bathroom we ever had in a hotel. The toilet is flushed by pulling up on a knob at the top of the tank. The bathroom is long, tiled and marble. It has a toilet and a bidet. I don't know how you clean your bottom without soap. The bathtub has a shower but the shower head is along the width side. No shower curtain so it sprays everywhere. They give cologne, a bathrobe, shower cap, shoe polish, sponge, razor and a tube of shaving cream which was handy since I forgot mine. The outlets are two circles like Germany so I have to conserve power on my camera. I turn off the auto preview as well as turn down the LED light. For my Clie, I turned the LCD down to nothing.
My sinuses are killing me, and I am feeling achy. This is not good. Our vacation just started. I take a couple Benadryl and though I'd rather not I take a nap. Mary checks on Bill and Carolyn. They missed their connecting flight at Atlanta so we book the Highlights of Barcelona tour with the Royal Caribbean representative.
The tour begins at 610 and starts from the lounge. We arrive before 5 and head towards the Gaudi building that resembles a dragon. I don't really see it. I hate shooting inside a bus. I need a polarizer to remove the reflections, but the tinting shows weird patterns. I would prefer a hop on hop off bus which is uncovered.





The uncompleted Sagrada Familia. The towers remind me of corn cobs. As our tour guide leads us to the best spot for photos, she berates one tourist about having his a couple of his backpack compartments unzipped. She was right. It was a perfect spot for photos, but I chose the spot to the right of it since bushes didn't block my view. Not faraway, adults were playing what appeared to be bocce. We circle around the building and make our way back to the bus. The disappointing part of this tour is that we don't have time to explore the interior of Gaudi's buildings.







To the left is the atrium area of a lawyer's building. Nice huh? Bridges connecting buildings are quite popular.

Saint George slaying the dragon.

Supposedly where Christopher Columbus had his audience with Queen Isabella

The piece in the background is called David and Goliath. See Goliath looking down?
Our Menu:
Hard rolls
Hard rolls
A split hard roll with tomato spread on it
A glass of blanca or tinta? wine
Green olives with pits
Salad with a hint of oil and vinegar
Ham or salted meat uncooked.
Pork sausages just like the Philippines. I wonder if that's where the Philippines got it.
Wedges of an omelet with cubed potatoes
A very large deep dish pan laden with yellow rice, chicken and vegetables was brought to the table. This is paella. By the time, paella was served, everyone was full. According to Samantha Brown, this dish is typically cooked by the men of the family sort of like barbecue in the States
A sorbet is served as dessert followed by an espresso


The Magic Fountain is at the top of hill overlooking the city. The tour guide compares it to the Bellagio, but I think it stands on its own. The museum in the background is highlighted by a crown of lights radiating outward.

When we return to the Gran Havana, our bedcovers had been turned down and chocolates await us.