Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Wed Sept 27, 2006

The morning deer count today was 8 deer with 4 of them wearing radio collars. I heard that NASA keeps track of their deer population. When it becomes too big, they move them to "the wild." We don't actually interact with the deer, but I think they are pretty tame and shouldn't end up at the business of a hunter's rifle.

Is this an interesting coincidence or what? The cafeteria is serving paella today - the same dish that we had in Barcelona. The cafeteria is celebrating Hispanic Heritage day. What about bulot from the Philippines? I doubt you would ever find boiled duck eggs with embryos inside sold in a US restaurant. It takes a strong stomach to swallow one.

Many years ago, a Mexican was trying to recruit me to help out with Hispanic Heritage day at JSC. He had seen my last name on my badge and concluded I was Spanish. I told him that I was Filipino, and he said that I still had Hispanic heritage. I guess that's true. I find that more and more true. Many Filipino names are Spanish. Many words are derived from Spanish. "Komusta" (pronounced "ko-mus-ta") is a greeting in my folks' dialects. Compare that to "Como esta." Similar huh?

Several foods are similar to Spain. The Barong Tagalog - a formal shirt of the Philippines is similar to the Mexican or Cuban shirt. Yellow is a popular building color for Spain, Puerto Rico and the Philippines. The churches look like churches of Spain and Texas. The forts look like forts in Puerto Rico.

It's interesting how people are labeled

Growing up, I always had to fill out those school forms which asked my race. First, it was Asian then Oriental and finally Pacific Islander. A co-worker from India told me how he was considered Oriental which I thought was weird. I always thought of Orientals as the Chinese or Japanese, something along Southeast Asia, but he reminded me that being Oriental meant coming from the Orient or the East which always confused me when I was younger. The Orient was always west of the US in today's maps. But the term "The Orient" was when the US did not exist, and the Orient was east of Europe. No one had found the western passage yet.

I'm a Filipino because of my mom and dad. I am also considered Hawaiian since I was born in Honolulu. It counts according to a Hawaiian I met even though I lived there only 2 years. I am American since I was born in the States. My most recent label would be Texan since I lived here for the most part of my life.