Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Tue Dec 12, 2006 TBE Houston Holiday Get-Together

The Lunch Bunch got together since Lisa would be busy on Wednesday. That's fine with me since I can't make Wednesday either because of the Building 5s Christmas lunch. Rick, Bob, Mary, Lisa and myself went to Oriental Gourmet for their buffet. It's hard to eat little carbs at an oriental restaurant.

That evening was Teledyne Brown-Houston's Holiday Get-Together at Mike Soutullo's house. Yes, I am going to a lot of Christmas gatherings this year. Fortunately, Mary's company will have a holiday party after the New Year.

There was an interesting icebreaker. On a card, people had to write their name, favorite gift received and why, favorite gift given and why, and favorite Christmas/holiday tradition. My favorite gift received was a transforming machine gun that shot plastic bullets, became a walkie-talkie, and radio. Once I said that, both Bob and Dwight remembered pellet guns that they received as gifts.

My favorite gift given drew the most interest. I wrote down black coal candy since it turned people's mouths a dark blue. People wanted to know where I bought it since they knew some children who deserved to receive it. I drew a blank on favorite tradition. I wrote down "eating" but driving the car around to see the Christmas lights was always fun. I would even make a special Christmas CD of music I found on the web. Mary won one of the door prizes and chose a Cinemark gift card. We'll have to use that after Christmas.


I received an invite to join the Acadian Renfest group. It's just a Yahoo! Group. Their renfest started just this year. I found photos of plowed field in the middle of nowhere. It appears to be a soft faire so far. Supposedly it has cast members as well as jousting and entertainment. I'll have to keep an eye out on it. It's in Louisiana only 4 hours away. So it can become a long day trip or a weekend trip. I noticed most of us are favoring weekend trips. Rick and Jim were talking about staying at the Holiday Inn next time we attend Scarby.