Saturday, December 29, 2007

Sat Dec 29, 2007 Jingo's

For watching Min-Mei, Gary took me out to eat at the only local Filipino restaurant -Jingo's Asian Mart & Restaurant. It was our first time there, but they said that they have been there for three years.

I asked Mom if she wanted to go, but she said no. Of course, she was very interested in what they were serving. Glenda wanted to know if it was buffet. Turns out that it was a buffet for about $7-$7.50 (Gary paid so I don't really know.)

The owner wanted to know if I was mestizo (mixed) or a Filipino. Fortunately, he didn't speak to me in Tagalog, but I think he spoke either my mom or dad's dialect since I understood some words when he was talking to his other customers. I told him that both my parents were Filipino but I was born in the States. He was happy to see that I at least eat Filipino. My Uncle Leo said the same thing when I was in the Philippines.

The rice must have been like a jasmine rice. The diniguan recipe had a slightly different tasting vinegar. Mom said that they must have used rice vinegar which is what is supposed to be used. The buffet included tapas - fried split small fish (you eat the spines and all), pork adobo, pancit with both noodles and sausage (never had it that way before), lechon kawali - deep fried pork cubes (a definite heart clogger), pinakbet (squash, japanese eggplant, ampalaya - bittermelon, string beans), bangus (milkfish) boiled with vinegar and ginger -- the fish has a lot of fine spine. For dessert, there was a rice pudding with coconut milk and jackfruit. Mmmm...