Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Tue Jan 1, 2008 Happy New Year!


Looking forward to 2008


No silly resolutions for me. I'm still trying to fulfill my previous resolutions like getting in shape - other than rounder. It just keeps getting tougher every year.

Like a little boy anxiously awaiting Christmas, I've always found that anticipation kept me going through the doldrums that eventually hit. And the anticipation of going on vacation always works. Unfortunately, this year there has been
no real decision about our annual big trip. Mary has talked of maybe touring Ireland. Oh joy, weather like Alaska and Scotland again. "But it's so green," is what Mary tells me. Our grass would be so green if rains everyday, besides water and camera equipment doesn't mix well. Oh well, it gets me out of work.

So what would my choice be? Astrid our tour guide in Bavaria has a new Imperial Castles Tour.
A river tour through Europe would be good as well and there's always Tahiti (cue Hawaii Five-O music). Mary has talked of visiting her aunt in the New England area and also to see the leaves turn. That should be nice. I've always felt awkward meeting family members for the first time

July 4th falls on a Friday, and I suggested to Mary about visiting New York City again. She showed very little interest.

As for renfests, we're to tour the Maryland Renfest and Pennsylvania Renfest with Heather and Peggy in the fall. Jim talked about seeing the Louisiana Renfest in the first week of December again. Speaking of the Louisiana Renfest, I found the Queen's blog in renfest.com. It turns out she is also the Queen in the Tennessee Renfest. I've thought of blogging on this website. I plan to scout the Four Winds Faire in March. Gary and Mary are interested. If we attend all the renfests including TRF and Scarby, that would be five different renfests in one year which would be a record for me.

I also discovered another renfest being built just eighteen miles away. They are about to start construction at Songwood in Manvel. At least, it's not in the middle of a trailer park like Newcastle. The grounds are 800' by 4000'. Checkout the rough map. Tickets are pricey at $20 at the gate, but you get a five dollar discount if you come in full garb and that means boots as well. Even Stormtroopers can get the garb discount.

An interesting project would be to create a DK equivalent book for renfests.