Saturday, April 19, 2008

Sat Apr 19, 2008 Scarby

Spring hast arrived once more and I make the journey to the Faire at Scarborough with Lady Mary, Master James and Sir Richard all in accompaniment. Lady Mary is in her skirt of green. Master James in a tunic of blue. Sir Richard is in his four link maille and leather. I wear no Musketeer tabbard today. The temperature will be near 74 which is perfect for my black slashed doublet and French cuffed shirt.

We pass between the twin towers. Rickshaws bring people to the front gate. The grounds are dry despite yesterday's downpour. As we walk to the main gate, the cannon sounds. The faire has begun.

Tickets are 20 pounds each. There are no two day tickets.

Lady Mary purchases a program for two pounds. The cast has dispersed, but the gates hast not yet opened. When the gates do open, the two left gates are for season passes only.

"Guttentag," greets the two German twins.

We travel west to the privies then north on a path lined by banners to our right. A few of the Scarborough Guards are at the old gathering point north of Wolf's Forge, but I see not the tent.

Host unlimited photos at slide.com for FREE!
At the kitchens, we head west once again. Ebeneezer Crumbee tells his Tales from the Sea at the majestic pirate ship complete with sails. Sir Richard has a steak on a stick. 6.50 pounds

I spy an elaborate water fountain shaped like a kneeling knight with flowing blue robes next to the chess match.

Host unlimited photos at slide.com for FREE!
We return to the Front Gate to watch the Bard O'Neil at High Tower Square. As is my habit as of late, I visit acts that I have not seen before. Although we have been to Scarborough a many a time, this is the first time I have viewed an act at this stage. Being at the front gate, it is noisy fare indeed. The Bard O'Neil is an Irish Balladeer. She has you choose between sweet or saucy. Most people choosing saucy and usually something Irish.

Host unlimited photos at slide.com for FREE!
After her show, we head east over the Villagers Crossing Bridge to Pecan Grove. At the Brother's Stage, Lady Mary and I find two bards sing a couple of songs with Queen Anne's Lace. They are a female a cappela group. I have heard their angelic songs on Marc Gunn's Renaissance Festival Podcast. Lady Mary purchases their album Bootleg. The French singer gives her only copy.

We come to an agreement with Master James and Sir Richard to regroup at noon at HighTower Square.

Revelers Stage stands in the shadow of a tower. My lady and I arrive in time for the Pyrojuggler's finale as he juggles knives over his face.


He also swallows fire...sort of.

Host unlimited photos at slide.com for FREE!
We return to Brothers Stage to watch Hey, Nunnie, Nunnie. Nearby pirates held their conversation so loud that one patron told them to be quiet.

The Grand Marche begins as Lady Mary and I make way to our rendezvous point. I see the Musketeers and Royal Guards form ranks as the parade march by. Once again grouped with Sir Richard and Master James, we decide to view the parade at the magnificent arch at Eagle's Crossing. Master James scurries off to make a purchase. The Russian Gypsies lead the parade. No pirates contingent. Bagpipes announce The Rogues' arrival and I even see Queen Anne's Lace. Twig is drawn in a rickshaw. The Queen and King is on foot. Miguel announces the end of the parade.

Master James returns. He and Sir Richard cache our treasures in his vehicle.

Host unlimited photos at slide.com for FREE!
We rendezvous with Master James identical twin - John and his wife Janet. Introductions are made all around. Janet brought her sister Joyce and her children. Chloe is not seen.

Tis past noon and I am hungry. We travel through Eagle's Crossing and to the Royal Kitchens. I try their Stir Fried Beef which is excellent. A maiden show me her ribs.

We come upon the Lady Bard O'Neill who asks for our name and if this be our shire. I answer that we are from New Market. She informs us that she will be at the White Horse Pub. We eat with Janet, Joyce, John.

I see the Maypole Dance and watch that as the others talk.

Host unlimited photos at slide.com for FREE!
We return to High tower Square to listen to the hammered dulcimer of "As You Like It" and find the beautiful Sarah Mullin playing her harp. I have problems hearing her due to the antics of Nature of Mercy near the foundry. She apologizes profusely to Michael O'Quinn for she has gone over her time. I see the archer Link.

Michael O'Quinn brought some friends and they sing for a while.