Friday, September 12, 2008

Fri Sept 12, 2008 Ike arrives

Eric calls as I am leaving to board Mom and Dad's lower windows. He said that I should put the fear of God in them so they would evacuate. I was thinking that people should have faith in God. A house built of brick and hardyplank also helps.

Mom and Dad are eating when I arrive so I start measuring the windows. I don't have enough 2x4's so I make due. We manage to board most of the lower windows with the plylocks we have remaining.

The winds begin to pick up around 11 and dark clouds roll in around noon. Mom and Dad had roasted some turkey legs which I have for lunch before heading back to the house.

I decide to get more cash and gas...just in case. I was at the drive thru ATM at the credit union when I get a call from Pete to get some yogurt and Ensure. I think he expected us to evacuate. Fortunately, both Walgreens were still open. People were buying food, cigarettes, books and renting DVDs from the kiosk in front. The Papa Johns next appeared open.

I showered and took a nap in anticipation of a long night. The storm was to hit at 1 or 2 in the morning. I charged everything that was chargeable and put the flashlights in a central spot - the coffee table in the living room.

The winds began to kick up around 5. I decided to watch a Mission Impossible episode that I started many times but never finished. That's when we lost power. It was 545 and no significant rain had even fallen. Mary was still taking a nap. I powered off the AC and turned off the UPS. I cracked a few windows for some cool air. When Mary awakened, we disconnect the alarm as instructed by Protection One.

Afterward we all settled in the living room. It was like Gilligan's Island since we passed the time cranking a radio which provided both light and information. We beamed the light to the ceiling which provided enough illumination to walk around the living room and kitchen. I would change the channels every so often. There was the outer eye wall and inner eyewall. 1-2 Eye wall. Patrol. Keep windowsills dry.

I had wanted to go outside during the eye but I fell asleep. Pete and Mary had left the living room. I discovered the wind had changed direction and rain was blowing into through the bay windows.

Ike was just 1 mph under a Cat 3 so the house held up well.