A choir of handbells were just finishing when we stepped into Jones Hall. Handbells always reminds me of Christmas. We wound our way past hordes of gray and silver haired patrons waiting for the elevators in their suits and gowns to the restrooms downstairs.
Afterwards, we made our way to the balcony where a lady presented Christmas trivia. She finished with 15 minutes to go and we made our way down three flights to our seats. We were seated at row R - a bit far to make out faces. The ceiling of Jones Hall reminds me of a bunch of gray umbrellas hanging upside down.
The Irish Tenors are a trio of men - it's funny that Tenors are never women.
Since it was billed as a Christmas Special, I expected something like Christmas pub music , but the first half of the show was opera-like music with a few songs that I heard on Marc Gunn's Irish Celtic Podcast. I guess I never appreciated opera since the words sound all muddled even when the song was in English.
At the end of the concert, I was thinking of Leo Di Caprio's line in "Titanic" "Do you want to go to a real party?" I was thinking that the Christmas concert at the Mucky Duck would have been more fun.