Today is an early wake up call. We are driving to the horseshoe bend at Canyon Lake just north of New Braunfels. Along the way, we spot a large water tower painted as a watermelon. When we arrive at River Sports Tubes, the owner tells us that the water is low and recommends the short leg --- but we can go as many times as we want. Spring is the best time for tubing and the water stays high till around June. Last year, the water was good year round. He gives us a mesh bag to hold our sandals, bottled water and stuff. We have a short walk to the dropoff point. The high is 100 degrees today, but the water is ice cold. The frigid water is nice after a few hours in the sun; although, I did get a nasty charlie horse at one point. A couple slips into the water behind us. They have a tube to carry their cooler which would be a pain to carry across the dry spots. Across the river, is a trio who brought 2 dogs as well. I don't think the dogs were too happy to be in the water as they swim to shore a few minutes later. It's a nice lazy trip. Nice houses line the riverbanks and new ones are still being built. Looking for handouts, ducks swim right up to us. Turtles sunbath on roots and rocks. I wish I brought a camera.The water is extremely low. We did a lot of walking, trudging our tubes over slippery smooth stones and rough sandbars.
We were starved by the time we got out of the water. Across the street is Daisy Dukes - probably a country version of Hooters. But we opt for lunch at a Mexican restaurant on the Riverwalk. I order their quesadilla. When the food arrives, I remember that I ate here before when Mike and Lisa visited. I am severely disappointed. The tortilla does not appear to be fresh nor made of lard (it sounds disgusting, but it does change the flavor and texture of the flour tortillas.)
We were starved by the time we got out of the water. Across the street is Daisy Dukes - probably a country version of Hooters. But we opt for lunch at a Mexican restaurant on the Riverwalk. I order their quesadilla. When the food arrives, I remember that I ate here before when Mike and Lisa visited. I am severely disappointed. The tortilla does not appear to be fresh nor made of lard (it sounds disgusting, but it does change the flavor and texture of the flour tortillas.)
Walking the Riverwalk
The Water Taxis

As we walk to the Alamo, the heat is getting to Mary so we relax in the air conditioned Ripley's Believe it or Not. These guys have like 4 different museums now. I've always been fascinated with Ripley's comics. Mary wasn't so interested in the cooking and eating of tarantulas though. I was amazed by the painting on a pin head. I couldn't even see it without the microscope. As a kid, I always wondered how they got to shrink the skulls in shrunken heads. I discover that they don't. It's a rock that they put inside. I was also surprised by the unbelievable small lotus feet of the Chinese women, and the cannibals who cremated their loved ones, crushed the bones then made a stew of the ashes and bones. Sarah finally finds a DDR machine in their snack room and plays a couple of rounds. By the time we leave the museum, it's 7 pm. Sarah wants to hit the sack by 11 pm, so there's no time for a riverwalk tour by boat.






