Now this is fall weather, I tell myself as I step outside this morning. It's a cool 65 with gray overcast skies. The maple sapling is already losing its leaves. I still haven't found a nice place for it. I'd like it to provide shade for the patio, but I don't want it too close to the house nor too close to the other maple tree. The tree in front is seeding so it will probably drop its leaves soon. The yard is looking pretty bad especially the back which has knee high crabgrass.
They are pushing dirt in the parking lot near the old OfficeMax. I wonder if it's gonna be another bank? The Storehouse has had a "Going out of Business" banner for a week now.
Building 4s where my real office is located is being powered down for electrical maintenance so I walk over to power down both my PC and Betty's. I'm walking back to Building 5s when I see the Kipper leaning against the building while he has a smoke. It's a great day so I stop and talk to him for a spell. Of course, the first thing he asks is how the Aeros is doing. Steve used to be a goaltender in his younger years. He was my tech sup at Unisys nearly 20 years ago. Geez, I'm getting old.
Lousy, I tell him in reply to his question. The Aeros lost again last night and haven't won a game yet.
Steve told me how he took his wife Karen to Cheddars for dinner just last week. They watched a hockey game at the bar while they waited for a table. Whenever the puck went sailing for the goaltender, he instinctively kicked out with his foot as if he was still minding the net. Steve and I used to play racquetball against one another. When I dreamed that the racquetball was heading for my face, I would jerk in bed and do a backhand to cover my face and hopefully put the ball in a good place. Steve laughed.
When Steve was younger, Karen said that he would sometimes do kick out when he was sleeping. I asked him how long has he known Karen. Since he was 13, he answers. Wow! Now that is a long time. He asks who the current Aeros are and mentions that he'll bring his daughter Kelly and the whole family to the game on Dec 22nd which is Kelly's birthday.
It comes up in conversation that Ted Reimers an old buddy of Dave's has emphysema. Ted did live in the toxic waste dump known as Brios - not intentionally of course. In the 80's, just as I started working in Houston, the EPA designated the Brios subdivision as a superfund project on the same scale as Love Canal. There were many birth defects in that area. The subdivision was razed, and the dirt burned. Yes burned. What's wierd is that across the street is a hospital and a college. Cattle were even grazing in the fields across the street. Now new subdivisions are being built there.
Mary and I went to see The Guardian at the Star Cinema & Grill. When the mega theatres like AMC 30 and Cinemark 12 were constructed with their supersized screens, many of the smaller theatres closed. Two were either demolished or closed. Another became a bargain theatre and another became a dinner cinema with a full bar which is the Star Cinema & Grill. They removed every other seat and put in small tables. The food is okay. I usually order an Irish Cream shake. Reading the menu or the receipt in the dark is tough especially when you are getting older. I had to resort to using my Clie as a flashlight.
Combine Top Gun with Officer and a Gentleman and you have The Guardian. No hot soundtrack like Top Gun, but it was a good movie.
They are pushing dirt in the parking lot near the old OfficeMax. I wonder if it's gonna be another bank? The Storehouse has had a "Going out of Business" banner for a week now.
Building 4s where my real office is located is being powered down for electrical maintenance so I walk over to power down both my PC and Betty's. I'm walking back to Building 5s when I see the Kipper leaning against the building while he has a smoke. It's a great day so I stop and talk to him for a spell. Of course, the first thing he asks is how the Aeros is doing. Steve used to be a goaltender in his younger years. He was my tech sup at Unisys nearly 20 years ago. Geez, I'm getting old.
Lousy, I tell him in reply to his question. The Aeros lost again last night and haven't won a game yet.
Steve told me how he took his wife Karen to Cheddars for dinner just last week. They watched a hockey game at the bar while they waited for a table. Whenever the puck went sailing for the goaltender, he instinctively kicked out with his foot as if he was still minding the net. Steve and I used to play racquetball against one another. When I dreamed that the racquetball was heading for my face, I would jerk in bed and do a backhand to cover my face and hopefully put the ball in a good place. Steve laughed.
When Steve was younger, Karen said that he would sometimes do kick out when he was sleeping. I asked him how long has he known Karen. Since he was 13, he answers. Wow! Now that is a long time. He asks who the current Aeros are and mentions that he'll bring his daughter Kelly and the whole family to the game on Dec 22nd which is Kelly's birthday.
It comes up in conversation that Ted Reimers an old buddy of Dave's has emphysema. Ted did live in the toxic waste dump known as Brios - not intentionally of course. In the 80's, just as I started working in Houston, the EPA designated the Brios subdivision as a superfund project on the same scale as Love Canal. There were many birth defects in that area. The subdivision was razed, and the dirt burned. Yes burned. What's wierd is that across the street is a hospital and a college. Cattle were even grazing in the fields across the street. Now new subdivisions are being built there.
Mary and I went to see The Guardian at the Star Cinema & Grill. When the mega theatres like AMC 30 and Cinemark 12 were constructed with their supersized screens, many of the smaller theatres closed. Two were either demolished or closed. Another became a bargain theatre and another became a dinner cinema with a full bar which is the Star Cinema & Grill. They removed every other seat and put in small tables. The food is okay. I usually order an Irish Cream shake. Reading the menu or the receipt in the dark is tough especially when you are getting older. I had to resort to using my Clie as a flashlight.
Combine Top Gun with Officer and a Gentleman and you have The Guardian. No hot soundtrack like Top Gun, but it was a good movie.