Monday, October 23, 2006

Mon Oct 23, 2006 Cammy

I had only planned to get a quote on the car tonight. 15 minutes away from Champion Toyota, Christian called to check when we would be arriving. I told him that we would be there soon. In fact we arrived right on time. Unfortunately, Christian was nowhere to be found. That was a bit irritating since I had already made this appointment on Saturday and he even checked with me earlier this morning. They paged him and searched around. When he couldn't be found, they tried to put a manager on me. I said that I would wait. Christian is very young so I would probably have a better chance of negotiating with him. Finally another manager sat us down at his office and said that he would check on the car for us. He said that Christian couldn't make a deal with me and that he only showed the car. The sales managers made all the deals. Whatever. He said that the car was already taken off his computer and was set to be traded to another dealer. Interesting, it hadn't been sold for 2 weeks. Why now? Am I getting the runaround? I asked him what price he would offer for the car. He gave me the list price saying that the Hybrids were high in demand. He said that there were only 2 cars loaded like this in Texas since it had the navigational package (that much was true) and they had them. He said that he couldn't give me a lower price since they already sold the car on the internet sale for $1500 over list. The car was being traded to another of their dealerships, but he would sell it to me at list. I shook my head and said that was already higher than I expected. He asked what I wanted. I said $2k under list. He said that they had just received a silver Camry which he would sell to me at $2k under list as a favor since I did come on time and thought that the car was still available. It was at this point that Christian showed up. He said that he had been looking for the car.

The manager had Christian take us out the silver Camry for a test drive - in hopes that we would fall in love with it. Mary drove this time, but we didn't experience the problem of the electric engine swapping in and out at 73 mph as before. But I didn't like the color of the car especially the interior which was gray. Besides, I felt kinda pissed that the red Camry was no longer available.

When we returned, the manager asked if I was interested in the silver car. I said that Mary really liked the red and used her as a chip. He went to the general manager and brought the price of the car down by $500. Big whoop.

He told me that he could only make the deal on the red car tonight but I had 24 hours on the silver car. I told him that I'll think about it, and was about to leave - one of the more powerful moves by the car consumer. He asked what he had to do to make the sale. I told him what I felt I told him that it felt like he did a bait and switch on me. That forced his hand. He asked how I was going to pay for it. I completely forgot about that bargaining chip. I told him that I was gonna pay in cash. He went to his general manager and got approval for the sale. The internet sales manager would have to eat it. That manager would probably try to sell the silver Camry to original buyer. I didn't find it on the internet on Wednesday. The manager that was working with me shook my hand for paying in cash. I think he was surprised. After that Christian did all the paperwork which took forever. Since I didn't think I was going to buy the car tonight, Christian had to follow us home to pick up the check.

I was afraid that I would get into an accident before I had insurance. The voice guidance was irritating since she was programmed for some unknown destination. She rode much like my old car. There was so much new stuff to learn, but I love gadgets which is why I like this car.

When I powered off the car, I was rewarded with an "Excellent" since I averaged 38 mpg for the trip. I love this car already.