Sunday, October 8, 2006

Sun Oct 8, 2006 Gordie Howe Day


I drop by Mom and Dad's for a couple of hours. I have to bring Dad's medicine which arrived in their mail while they were out taking care of Ily. They stay at Glenda and Eric's during the week and return Friday for the weekend. I showed them pictures from our Med cruise. Mom is now talking about maybe doing a Med cruise instead of a trip to China after they operate on Dad's knee. I mention this to Mary who says that they won't be able to keep up with me. I don't know about that. They did well in Hawaii and the Philippines.

As is my custom, I change the jersey I wear to the game when the Aeros lose a game. They lost last night so time to pull out the white jersey with the IHL Turner cup patch. I even put the pins back on.

Tonight they play the Iowa Stars. Sunday games start at 5:05. When we arrive, the game has already started, but I am able to get a free magnetic schedule from the front. I buy a program, a Diet Pepsi, and a Texas chili dog. If it has jalapenos, it comes from Texas. There's only Pepsi products in the Toyota Center. I like Mountain Dew but not the diet version. The bun is too soggy to hold. I have to use a knife and fork. I would be wearing white tonight.

Tonight they retire Gordie Howe's (Mr. Hockey's) number 9. At the break, Mary has a cheese burger, bottled water and a basket of garlic fries which we share. These garlic fries have grated garlic and parmesan cheese. They should come with a roll of Tums. You have no chance of scoring with a girl after eating this stuff. Heck, you have no danger of being attacked by a vampire after eating this. You can smell these fries from 3 to 4 rows away.

I just realized that the dance group is no longer the Sonic Boom but instead the Ladies of the Aerodynamics. I wonder if they knew that we were calling them the Sonic Boobs.

Someone holds up a sign: "I'm blind. I'm deaf. I wanna be a ref."

Josh Harding is not looking so good tonight, but there's lots of stupid penalties by our players. We lose 6 to 3. One of them is an empty net goal.