Saturday, December 2, 2006

Sat Dec 2, 2006 Louisiana Renaissance Festival



We missed our turn at 190 and arrived with the opening ceremony in full swing and Queen Elizabeth addressing the crowd. She is fair of skin and red of hair. She is a young but regal reincarnation of the queen with a friendly smile - unlike the stoic photo on the British paper currency. Rick, Jim and I bought two tickets each since we plan to be back for a half day.

As I approached the front gate, I nod to a long dark haired musketeer I recognize from Scarborough and TRF. I believe he is with the Texas Musketeers. As At the gates, the lady to the left is peacetying a man's sword . I noticed that the man to the right doesn't check. He may see my rapier but is unaware of main-gauche. We all pick up a program and stuff them into Rick's handy mapcase.

Like a gauntlet, the cast greets we visitors to their village. This is a nice touch. I recognize the jester from Fool Hearty. It's chilly but not a record breaker. I tuck my hands behind my tunic to keep them warm. We decide to wander a bit before selecting a show to watch.

I am of course taking photos, and Jim jokes about the camera not being period. I tell them about the one knight at TRF who gave me grief for taking photos. I told them that is the reason I now also use a mug.

We work our way counterclockwise around the lake. Near the Queen's Stage, a long haired man in garb approaches me. He asks if my tunic is from Authentic Wardrobe. I tell him that it is. Probably another person who wants to buy one for himself, I tell myself.

"Are you with the Texas Musketeers?" he asks. This throws me off. I tell him no, but I have heard of them. He swears that he has seen me before. Am I that memorable? Mary tells me that I am. I tell him that I am part of the Scarborough Guard. He tells me that he has probably seen me there for typically he is a scotsman at Scarborough.
"Have you been here before?" he asks.
"This shall be my third time," I tell him. He tells me that he loves this faire for the people are so friendly.
"Well met," he smiles as we part. He shakes my hand and walk off. I kicked myself for not doing a guardman's shake of the forearms.

Mike and the others are curious what had transpired so I tell them. Everyone walks off. Mike is off to find the Royal White Tigers. To my left, I see a magician attempting to draw a crowd to his table. Like the cast members, I help him out by watching for a spell. I am glad I did. He did close up magic like I have seen in Magic Island a Magic club in Houston. My presence actually draws a small crowd for the magician. Surprisingly enough, his character is French. The act comes to an end, and Mike informs me that he and Lisa had found the white tigers. For $2, you can see them. We decide to wander for a bit longer. Many buildings now line the "roads" and the pine trees which which were once saplings are now taller than the buildings. Stones have been laid on the pathways. The lake has ducks but these are merely decoys. There used to be real ducks. The ferry is still there. It has lamps and even a bench.


The Queen listens to...


a Spanish quartet




Haller Glass has a new building with stadium seats which are nice. Rick, Mike and Lisa want to see his show later on.

We walk past the new Painted Badger's Pub which is nice. The Joust grounds are not as nice as before. They are much further away, but stadium seating is provided. The Tortuga Twins are performing on the King's Stage as we pass by. A pretty blonde is balancing a rose on her head as she walks. "They say I am ready for a sword if can balance a flower," she says.


We circumnavigate the lake and once again arrive near the white tigers. You can't miss the jungle music which can be heard across the green lake. For $2, they stamp our hand with a paw print so we can visit all day long. It's a breeding pair. The male is happy to sleep with his back to the crowd while the female wants attention. You can have your photo taken (with the animal behind bars of course.)


Master Haller instructs us in the fine art of Glassblowing. He is always interesting to listen to.


We are now hungry. There is the King's Kitchen which is the only food at the top of the lake. Food has become pricey. $6.50 for Steak on a Stick. I settled for a cream cheese jalapeno filled pretzel for $4, but it was good. Lisa informs me that Mushrooms on a Stick were $5.50. We head to the jousting grounds to listen to the falconer.

"Good Day, my Lady" Mike greets the Queen as she and the Royal Court leave the jousting ground. I close my eyes. It should be Your Highness. I nod to the Queen. I think I should at least give a touch to the brim my hat.


At the Renaissance Festival everything comes on a stick. Pretzels...


And even falcons...

There are stadium seats for the joust. Mike and Lisa take a seat while Rick and Jim goes shopping. I remain standing. The pretzel man is here selling his goods and cracking jokes. "Two Irishmen are walking out of a bar." Everyone laughs. "Hey it could happen."


Just hanging around

The falconer and jousting grounds are way too far from the audience. The falconer was the first female I've seen. It was nice that falconer's assistance (her husband) walked the birds closer. If these birds are like the sparrows, they are still young since they still have yellow in their beaks.


A barn owl


A barred owl


A peregrine falcon




It's $2 for a soda which isn't too bad. A man complements my garb. $5 for an elephant's ear.
Like the last time I was here, the girl asks if I work for the faire. I wonder if it's the same girl? I stay honest and tell her I don't. I take a seat at benches overlooking the lake. Once again, my food selection was a mistake. Powdered sugar is all over my tunic but it shakes off. The others join me. Mike says there was a parade, but we must have missed it.


The Queen is knighting the children. I wonder if she would knight me?

Mike and Lisa find the glazed nuts near the front gate as they should be as a last moment impulse buy. Jim checks out the cloaks while I check if the souvenier shoppe has pins. No such luck of course. Mike and Lisa are disappointed that the t-shirts had the same logo as the last time they were here. They do sell a 2006 shirt with a photo of the Queen, but Mike and Lisa were hoping for a different logo for each year.


I watch the lady with the harpsichord play "Amazing Grace." I smile to myself at the young girl covering her ears. The Washing Well Wenches are at the King's Court at 3.


We walk towards there and I manage to catch the last two songs of the Pirate Shantyman and Bonnie Lass. I've seen a photo of the Pirate Shantyman without his beard on his website. Not good at all. Bonnie Lass is still as animated as ever.


The charcoal lady was explaining the creation and use of charcoal to Lisa and Mike. The charcoal lady asks if I am with the Texas Musketeers. I smile and tell her I am not. She tells me that she is an honorary Texas Musketeer for she helps them out whenever they are in town. She tells me if I should need help to just ask her. I ask her how does one join the Texas Musketeers. She said just perform good deeds. Now, how the heck am I supposed to do that?


Men if you are looking for a wife, I have the girl for you.

The Washing Well Wenches (Eureka and Priscilla) want a man who is touching his loved one in public. At that point, Mike's hand which was in the small of Lisa's back moves away. I point to Mike, but fortunate for him, Priscilla ignores me.

Mike, Lisa and Rick watch Master Hall once more. I watch the master carpenter as he explains the making of wooden shingles and how a roof is shingled.


Jim and I watch a man carve cooking utensils from wood. He explains how this one utensil though slender was made of ironwood and won't break no matter how hard you bent. I complemented the ironwood utensil hung on his neck. On one end was a fork and on the other was a spoon. The handle was twisted. I have seen something similar in iron but not in wood. He said it was expensive $60. Too pricey for me, but it was nice. Jim bought something for $10.


We catch the rated R show of the Tortuga Twins at the Painted Badger Pub.


It is a dirt floor with lighting and open air. It has lighting which is strange since the grounds closes at night. Jim suggests that it maybe a gathering point for the cast after hours. He said there are some wild and long parties. Jim comments how the smell of firewood adds to the authenticity. It's amazing the parents who allow their kids to stay in an R show.


Santa Claus drops into the pub to see who is naughty or nice.

Tis time to leave. The grounds grow cold as the sun hast already set. Over the gate, the Queen waves goodbye. Outside the gate, a flameeater entertains the crowd.