Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Tue Aug 14, 2007 Homeward bound

We have a late wake up call today since our flight leaves late in the afternoon and we have nothing planned. We were scheduled to be up by 0700, but I beat the clock which is a good thing since I plan to go work on Thursday. We meet everyone in the lobby at 0900. A few more different things. I notice a Chinese flag by the porridge kettle. I'm guessing it's similar to a soup that they served the Japanese tourists in Hawaii. They have a rice soup for the Chinese. The soup is pretty bland and the ingredients are placed off to the side -either chicken and celery or something vegetarian with mushrooms. The herring is marinated in either brine or vinegar. I prefer the vinegar. Mary find the rolls with pumpkin seeds on top. We had those in Bavaria and I loved them. 4 yogurts including a currant flavor.

We visit the gift shop which is now open. I head up to sleep while everyone talks. 1130 we head downstairs to checkout. Everyone arrives at the same time. We then wait for our bus transfer to arrive at 1230. This time the bus is empty and the bus driver is a lot more laid back, but by the time we leave Reykjavik Excursions, the bus is full.

We arrive at the Lief Erikson Airport. Once again we have issues with the tickets. The eticket is good so they book us in row A and C

It's interesting that they mark whether Doritos are vegan or vegetarian. Food from Belgium. I try the Paprika Pringles.

We are given free bottled water as we board the plane and a selection of papers in Icelandic of course.

What luck! Mary and I are seated in a business class. In a row that would seat three on one side of the aisle now sits only two giving plenty of room. Things are finally going our way.


The movie sound breaks up. First class is being served mini champagne. The older couple across the aisle recognize us. They saw us when we first flew into Iceland. I thought they looked familiar. They had spent the entire time in Reykjavik. It had rained earlier on, but they still had a wonderful time.

At baggage claims, a dog eagerly sniffed both us and any luggage we might have as we waited for our luggage. I wonder what would happen if you had doggie treats in your bag. The customs officer asks what food I brought home. "Jams, chocolates, candies, whisky."

"Very good." he responds. I don't know if that's in response to the food or the whisky.