Saturday, December 1, 2007

Sat Dec 1, 2007 The Louisiana Renfest


Another year finds us at the Louisiana Renaissance Festival. The on-line coupon was better than a two-day pass. At least they offered a two day pass, TRF doesn't.

On the ramparts, a Washing Well Wench is drumming up business. I don't recognize her from the other shows I've seen before.

I can hear the harpsichord at Hobgoblin Hills Puppets. The souvenir store has pewter pins which are okay but the detail is lacking. A large green orc is hassling the people entering the front gate. At Excalibur Leather, I find an extra large black trifold hat which would work for the pirate's costume I'm working on. Now I don't know if I want a frilly one or a plain jane.

I see the old Queen Isabella. She's a pirate now with the coolest sword. The pommel is an open rose.

On the Ordo Procintus Rink 6, Jameson the Juggler was performing his finale. It's on a slight rise so it's difficult to find standing room. We turn right at Lakeview. At the throne, Santa Claus and Mrs. Claus are attired in red and are listening to the little childrens' Christmas wishes. On the peninsula just behind them, a handfasting ceremony is in full swing.

Bonnie Lass is at Lakeview Pavilion which is new - not many benches and unfortunately,, not many patrons are stopping. As I shoot a sunken pirate ship in the lake, I hear the Pirate Shantyman yell: "Hey, that's our ship you are shooting. You should pay us."

We catch the finale of the Paulo Garbanzo's juggling act. He is quite entertaining.

Haller Glass has been replaced by Normandy Glass. The glassblower is not as interesting as Haller and it shows with the small crowd. The glassworks were not as colorful as Haller's. Haller gave a lesson in glass with every sitting. The Washing Well Wenches tub is here of all places. It's called Peasant Stage 6. An unexplained teepee also sits behind the benches.

I am piecing a medieval costume together. Central to the costume is a leather cowled mantle that I saw here last year, but I don't see their tent. It turns out that they have a pink two story shop now. Unfortunately, they don't have any more cowls. The one cowl they do have is purple which is why it hasn't sold yet.

I catch the dog and pony show. They about to play are you smarter than a jackass. It turns out the jackass isn't a smart ass after all.

The parade starts in twenty minutes. We position ourselves. We hear bagpipes from the pub. The parade is extremely short. The queen doesn't ride a carriage this time.

The best deal at the renfest are homemade sodas. A "small" bottle goes for 3 dollars and has unlimited refills for adollar each. The large one is free all this weekend and has a $2 refill. Flavors include cream soda, root beer, Wizard's Wine - tropical punch, Raspberry Lemonade. No emerald ale this week. There are two booths. One on the east side of the lake and one on the south side of the lake.

The orc recognizes Rick from TRF. Jim comments about coming back next year. He really likes this small renfest. I have to admit that it's fun watching it grow.

Looks like the magician Isaac Fawlkes moved from TRF to here. He seems to have lost some weight.

I haven't sat down since we arrived so I suggest finding a place to sit. The spot where the gypsies used to congregate is now Celtic Green where Starving Artists put Shakespeare shows. We walk past the crack corn as the TRF rennies call kettle corn but don't smell the delicious aroma. We sit at the falconer's show. Jim complains of the smoke so we move...twice.

As the show comes to an end, we head towards the pub. The Tortuga Twins are there. I hear some different musc at the Lakeview Pavilion. Two guys in kilts are performing. The one on autoharp looks and sounds familiar. It's Marc Gunn. I call Mary, and we catch the last two songs. I buy two CDs and tell Marc how I enjoy his podcasts. He asks which ones. I tell his the Irish Celtic and Renfest podcast, but I think the Renfest podcasts are better with Kristen. I tell him that we were listening to them on the way up. More people want to buy CDs so I let him be. As I talked to the others, he notices me and tries to step up and talk to me, but is caught by someone.

Dinner is at the Caboose 2 on Morrison. Pricey, but the food and service was good.