Sunday, December 2, 2007

Sun Dec 2, 2007 The Louisiana Renfest

We had planned to leave the hotel by 0900 by I found Rick and Jim already loading the Subruban before 830. We had breakfast at IHOP then head out to the renfest in time to catch the opening ceremonies.

The Baron welcomes everyone to the Harvest Festival when a girl herald runs up to the castle gate to inform him that the Queen herself would be arriving to visit Albright. To the Baron's chagrin, the Queen arrives not in five days so that he could prepare but in five minutes. She arrives by carriage and addresses the crowd.

Some of the entertainers have trading cards which announce the time of their acts. Jim received one from Paulo Garbanzo when the hat was passed around. It looked like a magic card. A cannon sounds the start of the festival. As I entered the front gate, the cast stood around for the meet and greet. Isaac Fawlkes gave me one. This is a cool idea for a game.

I purchased a leather net for my ever full bottle then something to drink. The white chemise with red trim that Mary likes is still there.


Queen Elizabeth is certainly a young and playful queen. She plays with a toy dog and rides the swing carousel.

Normandy Glass is closed. We bump into Unis of the Washing Wenches who tells Mary that she may win three prizes since she is accompanied by three men. She tells me that she lives at Normandy Glass. I ask what is in the teepee. She tells me that the glassblower lives there.

Minstrels at the Painted Badger Pub. The blue knight and red knight confirm that the parade starts at the Painted Badger Pub. As we waited for the parade, I walk off to watch the Washing Wenches.

The father of the Rampant Haggis sounds the start of the parade.

Marc Gunn is relaxing at the historic recreation. A man spots my camera asks me if I have the G9. I tell him that it's a G7 but I have a friend that has the G9. We talk cameras for a bit while Mary talks to Marc. It appears that the Bards will have a show at 1300 which gives us time for food and drink. I'm not hungry so I grab more soda. Mary mentions that he isn't too happy with the Louisiana Renfest since they get their name wrong and they didn't even post their act.

Marc take requests at the beginning. I ask for the cat song but they don't take those...probably since that is Marc's work. Andrew did requests well actually Marc's requests on a recorder.

We head off to Celtic Green to watch the family band Rampant Haggis. The father and daughter both play the bagpipes while the mother plays the drums. She is probably in high school. The father blows the pipes with ease while the daughter strains with each puff. She misses a note and glances to which catches the eye of the father. I thought that two bagpipes would muddle the notes, but they were quite clear and distinct. The mother asks what clans are represented in the audience. One sounds off Urquhart. The first time I ever heard that name was the castle on the banks of the Loch Ness.

The daughter takes the arm of the handsome archer and walks off, but is called back by her mother for Mary wants their autograph.

Mary buys one of the CDs and waits to have it signed. She learns that the father is a sea captain.