Saturday, January 26, 2008

Sat Jan 26, 2008 Family Mardi Gras

We arrived around 12 and had lunch at a Greek restaurant at the seawall. The salmon burger was excellent.

No wonder we can't find parking. The Seawall is a giant tailgate party. Instead of people taking just one parking space, they are taking two. Large trucks are towing trailers which have BBQ pits, deerstands, and even a sound system including a flashing light and PA system. I guess he wanted to be a DJ. Adjacent to us, some one is cooking great smelling barbecue.

When I started shooting the parade, I did my usual composition of shooting just the floats. Well the floats and whatever was towing them. Then I realized that the crowd was just as much part of the action. So I began including the outstretched hands of the crowd. I also stood back a bit as well. I should have shot closeups of the people tossing the beads especially if they had a great costume. I did concentrate on a few dancers and a pretty redhead roller derby girl.

You'd figure that with all the picturet aking that I didn't score any beads. Wrong! I got 26 of them and not just the round beads. My best one is a string of steins. Most of the time I didn't have to beg for them. A sting of silver ones ringed my lens like a hoop. Others fell right at my feet. It helped that I was behind some small girls who couldn't catch the high ones. But yes, I did catch a few in the air.