Mary, Jim and I find ourselves at the opening day at the Arizona Renaissance Festival. The red Superstition Mountains overlook the festival grounds. All week long, I had been worried about it raining at the renfest, but the weather is not cold enough for cloaks, and there is no sign of rain as we roll into the dirt parking lot. The ground is so dry that a truck is watering down the road to keep the dust down. We arrive several minutes before opening and find ourselves at row 3 the Tower. The opening ceremonies are already in full swing as we approach the front gates.
I am glad that I didn't buy Will Call tickets. Many people in garb are standing in the two windows. The $20 dollar tickets are half off with a coupon. Jim is fortunate enough that someone gives him one.
Like many renfests, privies and costume rental are located outside the front gate. Opening ceremonies begin as we approach the front gate. They ask to see my weapons to see that they are properly peace tied then tie a red ribbon it. Behind the front gate are the cast members and the entertainers as they do a Meet and Greet.
We walk past Mother Redempta and Sister Philomena at the Middle Shire Stage. There are many familiar faces at this faire. As is my custom, I try to visit acts I have not seen before or acts that do not visit our local faires TRF, Scarby and the Louisiana Renfest.
Three Men and Lots of Drums are at the Mud Stage. Their music is competing with Tartanic at the nearby Falconer's Heath. They play all forms of percussion and in this video, they play the lowly triangle.
We double back to Monk's Stage. People gather here to drink their coffee and eat their pastries from Monk's Bakery next door.
Abby Green is a redhead muse with bright blue eyes. This is her first renfest and she has one CD as of this date. She is placed at the Monk's Stage which is a tough spot since most people only gather there for Monk's Bakery or just to rest their feet.
Adam Crack - The Whipmaster is at Falcon's Heath. This is one act not to be missed. He can crack two whips at the same time. The Firewhip was very cool. Cracking a 350 ft whip is a bit of cheat, but he does crack it.
We grab some lunch. Next to the Piccolo Rocking Horse is the new three story dragon slide. I thought it would be an open slide, but I guess for safety reasons, it became a tube.
While Mary watches the glassblowing demonstration, Jim and I wander on our own. I bump into familiar acts: Ded Bob, Twig on her double flute Sarah Marie Mullen on harp on her own little patch of green.
I stop and watch Dextre Trip on the Rialto Stage. Chainsaws in a renfest is not very renfest, but balancing one on your chin or juggling one is quite cool.
The glassblower should be finishing his class as well, so I head back to Mary. Gypsy Geoff has one show on Teatro de la Rosa. I guess he has to make an impression so he can return next year. His finale is an escape from a straitjacket while bound in chains.
We make our way down to the Dancing Pig Pub and catch the end of Jamila Lotus a bellydancing act. We wander back to the Rialto Stage to catch Dextre Tripp.
We return to the Dancing Pig Pub to Jamila Lotus' full act. Two of the girls have been replaced from last year. I'll miss the redhead. The act has changed. They do a fiery Edward Scissorhands act then balance swords on their heads,
We return to the Dancing Pig Pub to Jamila Lotus' full act. Two of the girls have been replaced from last year. I'll miss the redhead. The act has changed. They do a fiery Edward Scissorhands act then balance swords on their heads,
The Boss Wench sells some cool looking pirate longjackets. I've been thinking of putting another costume together and a pirate outfit would reuse my shirts, breeches and cavalier boots.



