Sunday, February 8, 2009

Sun Feb 8, 2009 Arizona Renfest

One of the people working the front gate sees my main gauche and directs me to go to the exit. A girl pulled on my main-gauche to make sure that it could not be drawn. Surprisingly, they did not notice the rapier on my left hip hidden in the folds of my tunic.
"We want to make sure it was tied," explained the girl as she tied a red ribbon to my already peacetied main gauche.
"I was hoping for something else," I replied.
"I am sure you were," she smiled. "We can arrange that."

The weather was overcast today. As we walked past the Royal Theatre, I could feel drops fall from the sky, so we took shelter at the Royal Theatre which isn't much since it is basically just rafters. Pierides The Mythical Musicians are playing. I noticed their peculiarly long eyelashes. I felt strangely awkward since Mary and I were their sole audience. They said that they may rest for a while in the nobles chairs. I pointed out that the nobles may be upset.
"But we are nobles," explained one. "We are princesses. Would you like to hear our story?"
"Yes I would," I nodded.
"Let's sit down," said another. "This will take awhile."
The first said that she was the eldest of nine sisters but there was only five. She explained that they had challenged the Muses as being the better musicians and lost. They were then cursed to roam the world as birds. They were eventually changed back to their human forms, and their long eyelashes were remnants of their life as birds.

It begins to rain as we watch Nawari at the Teatro de la Rosa. The lead dancer has a vertical line from her bottom lip to her chin. I've never seen anything like that before. Mary and I move to center where there is more shelter from the rain. We stay to watch Franko's Magic which consists of sleight of hand. We find cover at the Glassblower's place next door.


IMG 6073
When we arrive at Monk's Stage, Calliopea is playing guitar is in the middle of the seating. A group of teenagers are talking in one corner. Mary and I take a bench as Jim fetches his camera from the car. A noblewoman takes a bench beside us.

Ghazaal Beledi World Music And Dance consists of three pretty female dancers in the troupe., but not as pretty as TRF's bellydancers. But this is not belly dancing. This group does dances from other countries such as India. The crowd is pretty thin because of the rain. The lead singer says that we now get to see "the other show" since they will try different material. With the exception of Jamila Lotus, all the gypsy dancers are dressed in black and long skirts. I'm surprised that the boss wench from Nawari has taken the bench to the right of me.

IMG 6085
I have never been to a Fool Hearty show even though they have been to many renfests that we've been to before. I've always thought of them as kiddy show. I remedied that by watching the Untrained Dog Show at the Fairhaven Theatre. Marquise is in black and white and Ima Nutte is the one in blue. If Blockhead their border collie is untrained, I want an untrained dog. This was one smart dog. After the show, the kids are allowed to pet the dog and get a stamp.

Neidfyre is scheduled for five weekends but will only be here for one since she is very much pregnant. She plays the violin while he keeps the beat with two tongue depressors. She sings Hebrew while he sings Gaelic. I know realize that I am the only audience that she has. She makes a deal with me. She will play as fast as I clap. She played faster than us. A couple of the girls from Pierides show up and begin to jam with Neidfyre.