Thu Oct 19, 2006 Total Health & Safety Day

Today is the annual Total Health & Safety Day at JSC. Booths are set up around the ponds. People would lecture or pass out brochures about breast cancer to hurricane evacuation for pets. There's even a blood drive. The weather cooperated, and it didn't rain, but it did get chilly. We got some nice freebies. We listened to a lecture on the proper posture of using a notebook computer. One woman commented that she could never achieve that posture in bed, and everyone cracked up. For listening to the lecture, we received a nice black nylon zippered bag. It could be useful traveling. Another table was giving away watches. Another table manned by firemen had a drawing for a smoke detector which played back a message that you record. I had read a study that children responded to their mom's voices but would sleep right through a smoke detector alarm. For signing up for the drawing, we received a free koozie. I was starving. I was fasting for an accurate glucose and cholesterol reading, but Mary couldn't get off work till 1130. My total cholesterol was 155. I thought that was fantastic compared to the 200+ that I heard 3 other people had, but Bob my team lead told me that I should get the breakdown. He had a low total cholesterol, but his other numbers sucked. So what's the point of doing this test? Mary had to head on back to work and so did I, so no glucose test today.