Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Wed Oct 18, 2006 Of Renfests

Wikipedia lists 11 notable renfests:
  • The New York Renaissance Faire
  • Northern California Renaissance Faire
  • Renaissance Pleasure Faire of Southern California
  • Maryland Renaissance Festival - 2006. Nice renfest set in a forest. Wow, renfests can have hills? This was my first renfest which we traveled by plane, and my first renfest without a weapon.
  • Bristol Renaissance Faire
  • Minnesota Renaissance Festival - Summer 2007
  • Arizona Renaissance Festival - Spring 2007
  • Pennsylvania Renaissance Faire - 2006. Nice renfest. Lose the asphalt roads. I loved the Sultry Sirens of Sin. We did this the same weekend as the Maryland Renfest.
  • Georgia Renaissance Festival - My high school buddy Mike didn't recommend this one. He thought the KC renfest was better.
  • Texas Renaissance Festival - My home renfest. Already been there once this year. Gonna visit a couple of times more this year. My first renfest ever.
  • Louisiana Renaissance Festival - An up and rising renfest. Not crowded yet, but it's nice to watch it grow. This was our first out of state renfest. We've been there a couple of times already. We've already have reservations for this December.
I've been to:
  • Hawkwood - Hawkwood was a hard faire set in the woods and was nice. Some of the structures were beginning to run down but it had a nice authentic feel. The acts could use some help. Unfortunately, it closed down. My first renfest in garb. I didn't have much of a garb at that point. I had to borrow a billowy white shirt from Rick but hey, I had a sword.
  • Scarborough Faire - This would be my second home renfest. It should be. Heck, I'm in the Scarborough Guard.
I almost been to:
  • Newcastle - So how do you almost been to a renfest? We were all dressed up and was right at the "front gate" when we turned around. The faire was nothing like the photos on the website. It was in the middle of a trailer park. No trees. No fountain. This was located in Alvin. Now supposedly a tornado had struck just before and destroyed what they put up.
Okay I like hockey. No, I'm not one of those crazy idiots who watches every game, but I do love watching the sport even though I can't play. So when a movie called Hockey Mom came on the air, I had to watch. Lo and behold, in one shot there was a goaltender wearing an old Aeros (our local AHL team) jersey. This was a surprise since all the players were wearing various major league teams.