Friday, March 2, 2007

Fri Mar 2, 2007 Eric Clapton Concert

My Christmas gift to Mary this year were Eric Clapton tickets. Since they went on sale while we were in DC, my sister bought them for me. She got floor seats which are typically good but not in this case. I thought there was nothing narrower than riding coach in a airplane. I was wrong. Since they were floor seats we stood for the first few songs.

One lady several rows up must have thought she a dancer in a previous life and continued to dance when everyone else sat down. I felt sorry for whoever sat behind her. Mary at least managed to see Eric Clapton every so often. I'm not a big Clapton fan. His songs are too blue for me. I was fading fast especially with the lead band. But I kept telling myself it was for Mary. The sound system wasn't all that crisp, and the piano player banged his piano like a three year old who found the keyboard for the first time. The left video screen was blanking out by the end of the show. Regardless of the warnings of no photos or videos, people were using their cells to record what they could. Worse yet, people would call someone and hold a conversation ("Guess where I am?") which is impossible. I probably heard the caller better than the receiver of the call. Instead of raising their lighters, fans raised an open cellphone. I guess it's a sign of the times...