Saturday, August 11, 2007

Sat Aug 11, 2007 Edinburgh Castle Tour

Time to hit the castle. The bus stops at the center of the bandfield. We leave our stuff behind and tour the castle. Bill comments that we are fortunate that it isn't windy. He does a quick tour and leads us up to the courtyard. We have about an hour to ourself.

Tom comments that we are fortunate that it is not windy. I think we're fortunate that it's not raining.

Tom is picking up more people as we go. I tell it's because he's so good. He answers that flattery would get me everything. We see the War Memorial and then enter the safe where the Crown Jewels are kept. Photographs are not allowed in either location. The Stone of Destiny is also in the safe. In the following room are larger than life portraits and it all leads to the gift shop as if we were in Disneyworld.

In the Great Hall, a reenactor is explaining what he did in his time. Reminds me of the Jay Leno lookalike guard in Pirates of the Caribbean. He's pretty cool. He mentions that some farmers would smash his son's trigger finger so that the son would not be recruited (drafted).

I watch as Chinese girls look around then pose with their hands gripped on the claymore. Mary and I head towards the chapel, view of the city, veteran's dog cemetary. The Brits do love their dogs. The chapel is small, but weddings and baptisms are performed there. The rain is pouring down harder as we head for the bus. Bill and Crockett returns to the hotel with our bags. We have a quick stop at the Edinburgh Military Tattoo shop which is at the entrance. I am surprised to find only one. The British sizes run a bit small compared to the States so I buy an XL rugby shirt. I also get a cap so I don't have to mess with my hood and still keep my head dry. Mary picks up a shirt and a programme. We'll buy the DVD next year when it becomes available.