Crathes Castle is a tower house on beautiful grounds. Mary, Peggy, Heather and I have tickets for 1230-1300 while the rest of the bunch had 1300-1330. At the gardens, I expect to hear Disney's Queen of Hearts screaming "Off with his head!" and people with flamingos for croquet clubs.
As usual, no photography inside the castle, but that doesn't stop someone from shooting a couple of shots on their film camera. Pretty girl guides in tartan sashes and skirts stand in some of the rooms to field questions. There was a shuttered photo that was three pictures in one based on what angle you viewed it.
The eleventh stair of the sprial staircase is a trip stair to cause the enemy to stumble. The trip stair was slightly taller than the others. Spears would be of no use in the staircase. The smaller doorways would cause the enemy to duck as well. A weapon would have to be hacked overhead.
Frieze were partially painted over. And there was writing on the beams similar to the New Zealanders. Holes in the side of the turrets were to empty the privies. A narrow staircase provided a secret access from the bedroom to great hall.
I don't think I can sleep in the bed. Cherub aces poke out of the panelling above and the headboard.
At the cafeteria and gift shop, I tried the weirdest sandwich on the list...sliced Brie cheese, sliced grapes, grape jam sandwich with carrot soup with coriander. Yes, it tasted good, but I would prefer pumpkin soup. I washed it down with a black currant drink.
After some shopping at the gift shop, we head for the garden. The gardens were great. I've never seen so many unique flowers. The coach departs ar 1430 so I see maybe half the garden before running to the coach.
As usual, no photography inside the castle, but that doesn't stop someone from shooting a couple of shots on their film camera. Pretty girl guides in tartan sashes and skirts stand in some of the rooms to field questions. There was a shuttered photo that was three pictures in one based on what angle you viewed it.
The eleventh stair of the sprial staircase is a trip stair to cause the enemy to stumble. The trip stair was slightly taller than the others. Spears would be of no use in the staircase. The smaller doorways would cause the enemy to duck as well. A weapon would have to be hacked overhead.
Frieze were partially painted over. And there was writing on the beams similar to the New Zealanders. Holes in the side of the turrets were to empty the privies. A narrow staircase provided a secret access from the bedroom to great hall.
I don't think I can sleep in the bed. Cherub aces poke out of the panelling above and the headboard.
At the cafeteria and gift shop, I tried the weirdest sandwich on the list...sliced Brie cheese, sliced grapes, grape jam sandwich with carrot soup with coriander. Yes, it tasted good, but I would prefer pumpkin soup. I washed it down with a black currant drink.
After some shopping at the gift shop, we head for the garden. The gardens were great. I've never seen so many unique flowers. The coach departs ar 1430 so I see maybe half the garden before running to the coach.