Thursday, August 9, 2007

Thu Aug 9, 2007 Tea and Scones

We stop at the Falls at Feaux for scones and tea. I guess they want to civilize us, but it's too warm for tea. I feel like I'm at a kid's tea party. Sidney has to navigate a tight stone bridge with alcoves. A balcony wraps the back of the house and overlooks the river. The interior of the house is brightly lit with sun and we take the long table in the center. The whipped butter has some cream in it according to Peggy. It lacks salt in my opinion. Fortunately, we are also served strawberry preserves. The scones are like large flat biscuits. We each have a bisquit and a personal teacup that holds enough for 2 cups. One thing about Scotland, it's rare to find a sugar substitute like Splenda, Equal or even Sweet and Low. I add cream to mine but can't taste it in the tea. A small bookmark is at each setting as a memento.

A gilly talks to us about the salmon run and fly fishing. Salmon have a 5-6 year life cycle. They spent time convincing fishermen to stop using nets. As we leave, the lady owner plays the bagpipes for us. We walk to the green suspension bridge to watch the salmon make their run up the river. Some claim spotting five salmon. Others claim it was the same one. I never saw one, but I didn't try that hard.

When we return to the hotel, we find team building classes on the hotel lawn. Archery, moon walk, etc. I see a few golfers in vests. I write for awhile my travel journals.

Mary and I arrive early for dinner this time around. This time Crockett and Deborah are stuck when the music stops.