Thursday, August 9, 2007

Thu Aug 9, 2007 Ballater

I always imagined warrants as something bad. Royal warrants are issued by the royal family to companies providing good work. At the town of Ballater, we found a few posted outside the bakery and Blue Bird Bus Station. Since the Queen Mother passed away, her royal warrants expires in 5 years.

The railroad station was converted to a tourist information center and museum since the Queen Mother used it. Not really much of a museum, but they do have the royal throne and a horse drawn wagon with the first disc brakes was on display. Highland games begins at 1230, but we won't be around. I did find their gathering point before they head out to the fields. Their uniforms are elaborate. Their doublets are similar to my musketeer outfit with wings. One guy had a a leopard sash. I saw a few girls blowing pipes which was amazing since in the States women usually just danced. We bought some sodas and drinks at the bakery with the Royal Warrants. They were okay.