Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Tue Aug 7, 2007 Duart Castle

The drive to Duart Castle is a tough one. It is a narrow single lane road, and Sidney had one large scrape before the left rear wheelwell. The Scots drive on the left but use mph. To measure petrol (gas), they use litres. They are in in the EU but don't use euros.

Duart Castle was rebuilt from ruins. The wind was so strong that two teenage girls could lean precariously backwards. The castle serves as the headquarters for Maclean clan. A rowan tree is planted in center courtyard. A rowan tree is suppose to have mystical properties to it.

Ok, we weren't suppose to take photos inside the castle, but no one told us so here's an insider peek.

The Spanish prisoners were part of Spanish Armada, but escaped their fate. They were to assist one Scottish lord in a battle. When it appeared that they would not follow through on their deal, they were imprisoned.

Catherine Zeta-Jones and Sean Connery filmed the movie "Entrapment" here. If I'm not mistaken, the castle was supposed to be the ancestral home of Sean Connery's character.

I worked my way up the spiraling staircase to the battlement. The staircase has only room for one to pass at a time. A rope dangles down the center for a handhold. The battlement also had a slate roof and was very windy. I have a little time left so I quickly circle the castle from sea level and take photos of the castle with blue skies.