I deliberately stayed up till 2300 to run myself down and perhaps get continuous sleep. I spent the time writing my journal. I guess you can't call it a blog till it's on the web; although, I read a blog is something that allows people to comment on. I wake up around five and stay up to finish my entry while it's still fresh in my mind. So much to write.
The bath water is soft but isn't that bad. Water is all over the floor when I'm finished showering. I haven't figured out why.
I turn on the tube but nothing happens. There are switches on all sockets. Maybe a circuit breaker? And all switches are turned off by the maids when they clean the room...even the tv. I turn on the switches and power up the tv. I flip through the channels. The forecast for today? Rain of course, but the good news is that it clears tonight. But wait! Another front comes in tomorrow morning for what? More rain.
They have a cool channel that plays American music videos. Too bad it drops out.
Breakfast. The cold food is in the center of the room. The hot foods and drinks are in a adjacent room. Black pudding which is like a blood sausage, mushrooms, wedges of tomatoes and pinto beans of all things. Having the drinks in that room was a mistake since it was so crowded and the Brits has such small glasses. I can't complain. We have a great view of the water and mountains.
The yellow wedges that appear as thick tortillas are actually potato bread. I had to ask since no one really knew. There are two different bangers (sausages), scrambled eggs, eggs sunny side up, porridge (oatmeal), pancakes, four cereals, muffins including chocolate which Peggy found as an abomination.
I leave the breakfast table to make space for the two who went to the Argyll Castle with me. The weather is dry so I take a quick walk on the trail which is covered with heather and thistle. In the past, Glencoe mined a slate quarry. The peninsula that the hotel stands upon was built from the waste. The hotel's shingles as well as the placemats were made from rectangular slices of this black slate. In more modern times, the slate was stacked to make boatsheds. Beyond the boatsheds is a mound of an old Iron Age fort.
Time to board the bus. From Oban "The Gateway to the Isles", we take a large ferry to the Isle of Mull. The bow opens and vehicles roll in. Everyone stays in the warmth indoors. I climb two decks up to the rear landing then take another flight of stairs to the top deck.
I bump into the mom who went to the Argyll Castle. "I guess we're one of the masochists," she says in response to our tour guide's comment that the masochists would be on the top deck. "It's not that bad out here," I tell her, but of course, I have a stadium jacket that survived Alaska.
The highest peak Ben Nevis is only 4406 feet. "Ben" stands for mountain. Whisky was known as the "water of life". It provided a use for the rain soaked barley after a rainy harvest.
The bath water is soft but isn't that bad. Water is all over the floor when I'm finished showering. I haven't figured out why.
I turn on the tube but nothing happens. There are switches on all sockets. Maybe a circuit breaker? And all switches are turned off by the maids when they clean the room...even the tv. I turn on the switches and power up the tv. I flip through the channels. The forecast for today? Rain of course, but the good news is that it clears tonight. But wait! Another front comes in tomorrow morning for what? More rain.
They have a cool channel that plays American music videos. Too bad it drops out.
Breakfast. The cold food is in the center of the room. The hot foods and drinks are in a adjacent room. Black pudding which is like a blood sausage, mushrooms, wedges of tomatoes and pinto beans of all things. Having the drinks in that room was a mistake since it was so crowded and the Brits has such small glasses. I can't complain. We have a great view of the water and mountains.
The yellow wedges that appear as thick tortillas are actually potato bread. I had to ask since no one really knew. There are two different bangers (sausages), scrambled eggs, eggs sunny side up, porridge (oatmeal), pancakes, four cereals, muffins including chocolate which Peggy found as an abomination.
I leave the breakfast table to make space for the two who went to the Argyll Castle with me. The weather is dry so I take a quick walk on the trail which is covered with heather and thistle. In the past, Glencoe mined a slate quarry. The peninsula that the hotel stands upon was built from the waste. The hotel's shingles as well as the placemats were made from rectangular slices of this black slate. In more modern times, the slate was stacked to make boatsheds. Beyond the boatsheds is a mound of an old Iron Age fort.
I bump into the mom who went to the Argyll Castle. "I guess we're one of the masochists," she says in response to our tour guide's comment that the masochists would be on the top deck. "It's not that bad out here," I tell her, but of course, I have a stadium jacket that survived Alaska.
The highest peak Ben Nevis is only 4406 feet. "Ben" stands for mountain. Whisky was known as the "water of life". It provided a use for the rain soaked barley after a rainy harvest.