Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Tue Aug 7, 2007 Tobermory

Our lunch break is at the coastal town of Tobermory for lunch and time to ourselves - i.e. more shopping. The buildings are colorfully painted for a morning kids show called Balamory on BBC 2 which is the Scottish channel.

We stop at a local tavern for lunch. I have problems understanding the redhead waitress. I order a pint of J.R. Tennent - a local beer and elect to eat outside, since we haven't seen the sun for so long. Everyone else eats indoors in the crowded pub. Mary eventually joins me outdoors. Mary and I ordered the fish and chips which were great. The portions were huge. We should have split the order. Gotta be careful of the spines though. The pub plays American New Country. I grin as they play "God Bless Texas".

As we tour down the street overlooking the water, I am wishing that I left my jacket on the bus. The sun is out and I'm getting hot. Instead of shopping, I should have split from the group and gone sightseeing. We make a quick stop at the Clydesdale Bank ATM.

We shop at the local grocery for sodas. They have small grocery carts. Mary gets a diet coke and a box of assorted mini Cadbury chocolates. I buy an Irn-bru a Scottish soda which is like an orange Fanta. We miss seeing the queue and accidentally jump the line. We are sent to the back. The grocery is a bag your own. We are late and have to run to the coach.