Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Wed Dec 27, 2006 Union Station

Today was a busy day. Jan had gotten tour tickets for the Washington Monument and Mary bought Caps hockey tickets for later tonight.

Mary and I take the Metro to the Union Station.


I've never been to Union Station before. In addition to being a train station, the building has become a collection of stores and restaurants. We take the stairs down and walk through the Godiva store


...and into the main atrium.






Norway sends a Christmas Tree every year in thanks for the United States' help in World War 2.


In addition to displays which explains more about Norway, a huge model train display is set up in one wing. Unfortunately, there is also an annoying plexiglass that gets in the way of photos.




It comes complete with giant trolls. I guess this is where D&D gets their trolls. As a kid, I always wondered how the bridge troll managed to keep hidden from the Billy Goat Gruffs. I guess the bridge troll was much smaller.





This troll reminds me of the Voodoo doll in the movie "Minor League."

Everyone has heard of the Liberty Bell. Outside the building is The Freedom Bell which was donated for the Bicentennial which is weird since the plaque read 1981.



Behind it is a memorial to Christopher Columbus.


The Union Station from outside.


The flags are now at half staff to honor former President Ford who had just passed away.